If you love yoga, you’ve probably heard that stand up paddle board yoga is the new way to practice mindfulness and get out on the water. Yoga on SUPs (stand up paddle boards) involves the same poses as on land, but the challenge (and reward!) is that much greater. The elements like wind and current make it a balancing act, even for the pros.
But fear not – SUP yoga isn’t just for the most practiced of yogis. Here are some yoga poses that everyone can do.
- Easy Seated Pose: Facing the front of your board, sit with your hips on the handle and let your hands rest on your knees. Sit up straight and take deep abdominal breaths.
- Plank: Keeping your body in a straight line, stack your shoulders above your wrists and rest on the tips of your toes.
- Downward-Facing Dog: Rest on your hands and feet, sending your hips up and back, straightening the legs. Gaze at the horizon behind you.
- Tree: Bend the right knee, resting the right heel against the left leg. Lift your arms above your head and hold for balance.
- Modified crescent lunge: Lunge forward with one knee and straighten out the back leg. Reach up and behind you, lengthening your arms.
- Warrior: Step forward with one foot, bending the knee. Keep your other leg straight with the foot pointing forward. Lift your arms parallel to the board, breathe, and find your balance.
Remember, falling is part of the experience! A refreshing splash into the sea is a nicer welcome than falling onto a hard floor.
BruSurf’s SUPs are unique, handcrafted, and just what you need to hit the waves to practice yoga. Learn more about how we’re the right fit for your needs.